The annual EnerGuide Awards go to the manufacturers of the most fuel-efficient vehicles for each model year.
2006 EnerGuide Awards
2006 EnerGuide Awards recognize top gas misers
Dec. 1, 2005 -- Each year, NRCan identifies the most fuel-efficient new vehicles available in several different categories as EnerGuide Award winners. Administered by NRCan's Office of Energy Efficiency, the annual EnerGuide Awards go to the manufacturers of the most fuel-efficient vehicles for each model year. EnerGuide Awards are presented annually at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto in partnership with the Canadian automobile industry and its associations.
The current year's EnerGuide ratings for all vehicles can be found here.
For 2006, the winning manufacturers and vehicles in each category are as follows:
- two-seater car - Honda Insight
- compact car - Honda Civic Hybrid
- minivan - Honda Odyssey EX-L and Touring
- subcompact car (gasoline) - Toyota Yaris
- mid-size car - Toyota Prius
- station wagon (gasoline - co-winner) - Toyota Matrix
Ford Motor Company of Canada
- pickup truck (co-winner) - Ford Ranger
- special purpose vehicle - Ford Escape Hybrid
General Motors of Canada
- large van - Chevrolet Express Cargo/GMC Savana Cargo
- station wagon (gasoline - co-winner) - Pontiac Vibe
- subcompact car (diesel) - Volkswagen New Beetle TDI Diesel
- station wagon (diesel) - Volkswagen Jetta TDI Diesel Wagon
Hyundai Auto Canada
- full-size car - Hyundai Sonata
- pickup truck (co-winner) - Mazda B2300.
The 2006 Fuel Consumption Guide lists the annual estimates of fuel use, fuel cost and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of new passenger cars and light-duty pickup trucks, vans and special-purpose vehicles sold in Canada. The fuel consumption ratings are presented according to vehicle make and model, engine size, type of transmission, vehicle class and fuel type. Annual fuel cost, consumption and CO2 estimates are based on the fuel consumption of a vehicle travelling 20,000 kilometres, with a mix of 55% in the city and 45% on the highway. This information also appears on the EnerGuide label affixed to all new cars and light-duty trucks sold in Canada.
NRCan produces the guide in collaboration with Transport Canada, the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association and the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers of Canada. It is available from participating new vehicle dealerships, most local, provincial and territorial motor vehicle licence agency offices and Canadian Automobile Association offices across Canada, on the Web at www.vehicles.gc.ca.
Consumers can also obtain a copy by calling 1 800 387-2000 or by mailing their request to Energy Publications, Office of Energy Efficiency, c/o DLS, Ottawa, Ontario K1G 0S9, or use EnerGuide online by visiting this link.